This is Alecta
At Alecta, we manage the occupational pensions of 2.6 million private individuals and 35,000 companies in Sweden. Our job is to maximise the value of occupational pensions for our corporate and private customers.
Alecta was founded in 1917 on the belief that trust increases when it is shared. Our contribution to society continues to be to work towards a sustainable pension system, which rests on three cornerstones:
- good pensions that people can live on – now and in the future
- stable and reliable pension provider
- responsible investments which contribute to a sustainable society.
A fundamental principle for Alecta and our customers is that a good pension starts with low fees. That's why we work exclusively with collectively agreed occupational pensions, and in particular with the ITP, which is the pension plan for private-sector salaried employees. In addition, Alecta has made some key choices to keep costs down and increase the value of our pensions:
- We are a mutual insurance company, which means we are owned by our customers, and any surplus is returned to them.
- We offer a collective insurance solution. All of our customers jointly share risks and responsibilities. This provides greater security and flexibility.
- We are procured collectively, which saves on sales and marketing costs.
This enables us to have one of the lowest fees in the industry – at 0.09% of managed capital, with a cap of SEK 600 per year.
Our pension solution is a complete package that offers security and has become the standard for today's modern occupational pensions. It includes:
- retirement pension
- additional insurance in case of long-term illness/disability
- financial protection for your immediate family in the event of death.
Today, Alecta is one of the world's most cost-efficient occupational pension managers, and our financial position is strong. We always act responsibly and with great respect for the rules that govern our business.
In order to raise awareness and confidence in the pension system and collectively agreed occupational pensions, we also share facts and expertise with our customers, labour market parties, universities and colleges, and contribute to the public debate.
As a pension manager, we take a long-term view in everything we do, particularly in our investments. We are convinced that sustainability is essential to long-term value creation.
By performing most of the management ourselves and making investments based on fundamental analysis, we carefully select companies that can provide returns and value over time. We also have a limited number of holdings – around 100 in our portfolio – which gives us the opportunity to be a significant shareholder, with deep knowledge and the power to influence and support development in a sustainable direction.
ALECTA IN BRIEF
- Founded in 1917
- Owned by 2.6 million private and 35,000 corporate customers
- Only collectively agreed occupational pensions like the ITP
- Manages all ITP2 pensions (defined benefit occupational pension)
- Default option for ITP 1 and TPK (defined contribution occupational pension)
- SEK 1,231 billion in assets under management
- One of the biggest investors on the Stockholm Stock Exchange
- One of Sweden’s biggest property owners
- The 5th biggest occupational pension company in Europe